The International Meistersinger Akademie (IMA) offers emerging artists an exceptional environment of excellence in the study of opera and Lied/Mélodie. Our prestigious staff and guest professors bring their expertise to the vocal and interpretive development of the young professional. The opening opera gala and an open air concert are planned with the Nuremburg Symphony Orchestra. Recitals take place in Neumarkt and Bayreuth, with an additional operagala in Ottobeuren. Language coaching in Italian and German is considered an important facet, as are Alexander Technique sessions.
European agents, promoters, opera directors and festival managers are invited to hold auditions, give seminars and to take part in roundtable discussions with the young artists, thus providing the networking and professional contacts important to the profession.
Through the IMA, many of our participants have found prestigious management and have been engaged at opera houses in Fest-contracts or as guests. Houses who have hired our singers include Glyndebourne, Covent Garden, Frankfurt, Munich, Hannover, Aix-en-Provence, Lille, Leipzig, Dresden, Geneva, Palermo, Basel, Klagenfurt, Zurich, as well as the Metropolitan Opera in New York. There have also been engagements in opera studio programs in Munich,Frankfurt, Dresden, Basel and Zurich. In the realm of concert, there are engagement possibilities for recitals and oratorio/orchestral concerts.
In the acoustically famous Reitstadel Hall, the recital will be recorded by the Bavarian Radio/Studio Franken.
Our goal is to help each singer find the key to his or her own artistry and individual voice. This includes taking the time needed to work the new ideas into the repertoire and into the body.
To facilitate this, we offer extended practice time, both alone, and in rehearsal with a pianist, in our seven practice facilities.
The offer is for 12 to 15 emerging artists, not older than 30 years on August 17, 2016.
We expect our participants to come completely prepared. All music must be memorized.
Location and Course Dates
The IMA takes place from July 9 - August 17, 2016.
Neumarkt is a very welcoming, picturesque town in the Oberpfalz, and is the ideal partner for the IMA: the concert hall, Reitstadel, is renowned for its acoustics; two other large halls with grand pianos are available, as well as seven practice studios (with pianos) and several teaching rooms without pianos. Neumarkt can be reached from Nuremburg in 30 minutes.
St. Joseph´s monastery lies in a beautiful park 15 minutes from city center. All the participants are in residence in single rooms. Bikes are provided by the city.
Neumarkt is also a town which enjoys festivities. The renowned Volksfest ("peoples' party") is held during the IMA weeks, and has proven to be huge fun, right down to being in the parade on an IMA float, and enjoying the rides and beer-tents at the fairgrounds.
- *September 27, 2015 in Cincinnati, University of Cincinnati, College-Conservatory of Music (Deadline: September 20, 2015)
- *October 2, 2015 in New York at the National Opera Center (Deadline: September 25, 2015)
- *October 18/19, 2015 in London at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (Deadline: October 4, 2015)
- December 5/6, 2015 in New York at the National Opera Center (Deadline: November 25, 2015)
- December 19/20, 2015 in Neumarkt, Germany (Deadline: December 10, 2015)
- January 6/7, 2016 in London at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama (Deadline: December 10, 2015)
September and October auditions are EARLY DECISION. Singers will receive notification (acceptance/waitlist/non-acceptance) by the end of October. To apply with a DVD/Video Link in lieu of the live audition is also possible. Video applications must be received by December 10, 2015. See the repertoire page. Applications are available via YAPTRACKER.
- Application fee of $50.00 (US)
- Full scholarships apply for all lessons, coachings, Italian/German diction classes, Alexander Technique and roundtables during the entire course.
- Accommodation in single rooms with single baths are organized and paid for by the city of Neumarkt.
- Breakfast and dinner are organized and paid for by the IMA.
The artists will organize and pay for their travel expenses. The IMA can, in exceptional cases, provide a stipend towards travel costs.